CS 151: Complexity Theory (Spring 2019)
Instructor: Chris Umans
Office: Annenberg 311
Times: Tu/Th 1:00-2:25 in Annenberg 314
TAs: Andrew Ding, Gideon Leeper, and Siddharth
- Tuesdays 7-8pm in Annenberg 106 (Siddharth)
- Wednesdays 2-3pm in Annenberg 311 (Chris)
- Wednesdays 4-5pm in Annenberg 106 (Andrew)
- Wednesdays 7-8pm in Annenberg 106 (Gideon)
- We will be using Friday 2-3:25 in Moore B280 as the alternate timeslot for
Thursday lectures, when needed.
- Next Thursday's lecture on Apil 25th will be rescheduled for
Friday April 26 2-3:25 in Moore B280.
- Syllabus (pdf)
- Collaboration table (pdf)
- Lecture 1: intro; languages, complexity classes, Turing Machines, reductions and completeness
- Lecture 2: time and space classes, hierarchy theorems,
relationships between classes, padding (pptx, pdf)
- Lecture 3: padding and succinctness, nondeterminism, NP- and NEXP- complete problems, NTIME hierarchy theorem, Ladner's Theorem (pptx, pdf)
- Lecture 4: unary languages and NP,
nondeterministic space classes, STCONN, Savitch's Theorem, I-S Theorem
- Lecture 5: nonuniformity and advice, NC hierarchy (pptx, pdf)
- Lecture 6: formula lower bound on Andreev function, Razborov's lower
bound on monotone circuits for clique (pptx, pdf)
- Here is a LaTeX template (tex, pdf)
that you can use for your writeups if you wish.
- all 2017 lectures as a .tar.gz archive.
- Videos of 2019 lectures (Caltech only) here.