CS 151: Complexity Theory (Spring 2021)
Instructor: Chris Umans
Office: Annenberg 311
Times: Tu/Th 1:00-2:25 via Zoom
Vinayak Kumar and Mayank Pandey
Office hours: Zoom links are on the Canvas course page. All times
are Pacific Time.
- Wednesdays 2-3pm (Chris)
- Wednesdays 6-7pm (Vinayak)
- Wednesdays 8-9pm (Mayank)
- The third problem set has been posted. It is due Thursday,
April 22, at 1pm PST.
- The solutions for PS2 are posted. Please do not consult them
until you have turned in the set.
- Syllabus (pdf)
- Collaboration table (pdf)
- Lecture 1: intro; languages, complexity classes, Turing Machines
- Lecture 2: reductions and completeness, time and space classes, hierarchy theorems,
relationships between classes (pptx, pdf)
- Lecture 3: a P-complete problem, padding and succinctness, nondeterminism, NP- and
NEXP- complete problems (pptx, pdf)
- Lecture 4: NTIME hierarchy theorem, Ladner's Theorem, unary languages and NP
- Lecture 5: nondeterministic space classes, STCONN, Savitch's Theorem, I-S Theorem, nonuniformity and advice (pptx, pdf)
- Lecture 6: NC hierarchy, formula lower bound on Andreev function (pptx, pdf)
- Here is a LaTeX template (tex, pdf)
that you can use for your writeups if you wish.
- all 2017 lectures as a .tar.gz archive.
- Videos of 2019 lectures (Caltech only) here.